Recent Reads #2

03:00

I really do need to take more time to read. Sometimes, life just gets in the way and you forget about how important it is for your own health and well being to take some time for yourself, away from technology and relax with a good book.

Where Rainbows End by Cecelia Ahern
I first read this book years ago but decided to pick it up again after watching Love, Rosie which is based on the book. It follows the lives of Rosie and Alex, best friends since the age of five, growing up and eventually leading very different lives. It's an easy read, the entire book is made up of letters, emails, instant messages and notes. It's a very personal style that really pulls you into their lives and the people around them, I absolutely love the humour and warmth in the writing. Fate does a great job of keeping Alex and Rosie apart, but will they risk it all on true love or stay content with friendship?

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn 
Erm, 2012 called and it want its book back. Yep, late to the party as usual. This book was all anyone could talk about a few years ago and I stayed away from the hype, but I found it on the bookshelves a couple of weeks ago and my interest was peaked. It a tense mystery, following the disappearance of Amy Dunne. Her husband, Nick, becomes the prime suspect in the case, but as the story unfolds, we see it's not as simple as it sounds. Its a gripping mystery with a few good twists and turns and is a detailed insight into the dissolution of a marriage. The ending is a controversial point, but I won't spoil it. I will say, I was initially frustrated and felt let down, but I think it works.

The One Plus One by Jojo Moyes
 This was another quite easy read, one of those books that you can just fall into and devour in a couple of sittings. I'm a big fan of Jojo Moyes for when I want a bit of romance and humour, but there's always a slight edge to her stories. This book follows Jess. Two jobs and two kids means life isn't easy for her, but when an opportunity arises for her daughter, she's determined to make it work. An encounter with Ed Nichols, who is going through his own struggles, leads to a road trip like no other. The four of them, plus a dog, go on a journey across the country, filled with love, humour and sadness. This was another thoroghly enjoyable, if not slightly idealistic, book I was sad to finish. 

Please do leave your thoughts on these books and recommendations for new reads below!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Subscribe